Ayers Kaserne, "The Rock," was captured in this
aerial photo by Sp4 Jay Sehi of HQ Co, 1st Brigade, from
aboard a OH58 chopper. Occupied by the 3rd Armored from 1956
to 1992, it was here that the first wave of Division combat units
were sent at the start of the Cold War deployment on May 12,
1956. The troops arrived following an 11-hour train ride from
the port of Bremerhaven.
On behalf of the many former Ayers Kaserne troops who will
view this photo over time, and who will no doubt be flooded with
memories, we say "Thanks!" to the photographer, Jay
Sehi (now of Clarksville, TN) and to Col. Geoffrey Thompson,
who sent us the photo. Thompson, a former Dental Corps officer
at Ayers Kaserne, is now Chief, Dental Biomaterials, U.S. Army
Dental Research Detachment, Great Lakes, IL.