By Web Staff  Return to Previous Page

More signs of the time.

AUGUST, 1985
No 3rd Armored troops were involved, but this was a
particularly watchful month in the Frankfurt area.

See full text of stories further below.


Car Bomb Kills 2 on U.S. Air Base in West Germany

About 20 Others Are Wounded
Bonn Officials Suspect Noted Terrorist Group

The New York Times (front-page story on Aug. 9, 1985)
By John Tagliabue

Rhein-Main Air Base, West Germany, Aug. 8, 1985 - A car bomb exploded today outside the headquarters building at this United States military base, killing two Americans and wounding about 20 people, both Americans and West Germans.

Kurt Rebmann, the West German Prosecutor, said the attack bore "the handwriting of the Red Army Faction," a terrorist group that appears to have succeeded the Baader-Meinhof Gang of the 1970's. The incident at the air base, which is near Frankfurt, was the first major attack on an American installation in West Germany since the bombing of Ramstein Air Base in 1981, in which 18 people were wounded. It was the latest of a series of assaults on military targets in Western Europe, apparently in response to the deployment of United States medium-range missiles.

More People Watching Bases

West German policemen responsible for monitoring civilians outside military installations said the number of civilians had increased.

Staff Sgt. Michael Bowers, a base spokesman, said the dead were Airman Frank H. Scarton, 19 years old, of Woodhaven, Mich., who was serving with the 437th Military Airlift Wing at Charleston Air Force Base, S.C., and was on temporary duty here, and the wife of an American serviceman.

The Pentagon identified the woman as Becky Jo Bristol of San Antonio, the wife of Senior Airman John Bristol, who is with the Medical Airlift Squadron at the base. Airman Scarton was thought to have been killed immediately, the base spokesman said. The woman died while being flown for treatment to the burn center of the Landstuhl Army Hospital.

Fight Against Terrorism

The attack here came less than six weeks after a bomb blew up in adjacent Frankfurt airport, killing one man and two children. The police said the bombings did not seem related.

West Germany has been relatively successful in the battle against terrorism, but there has been a flare-up this year that has troubled the Government of Chancellor Helmut Kohl. Six bombs have been found on United States and other Western military bases in West Germany in 1985. They did not go off and caused no deaths or injuries.

In a telegram to President Reagan, Mr. Kohl deplored the latest attack and promised swift action "to cast light on the deed."

Set Off By Timer

Werner Loew of the West German criminal police said in Wiesbaden that the explosive had been detonated by a timing device and had evidently been smuggled onto the base not long before the explosion, at 7:15 A.M., in a green 1978 Volkswagen Passat car with a forged United States military license.

The size and content of the bomb have not yet been determined; he said. Witnesses said it blew a hole four feet across and five feet deep, and cast debris hundreds of yards.
Later in the day, the scene of the bombing, near the headquarters building, was one of burned-out and twisted automobiles, some lying on the side or upside down, and others with their trunks or hoods blasted open and burned. Trees were stripped of their leaves, windows broken and tiles torn off the roofs of nearby buildings.

Killing of G.I. Linked To West German Blast

Frankfurt, Aug. 13, 1985 - The West German police said today that they were investigating a possible link between a car bomb attack at the United States Rhein-Main Air Base Thursday in which two Americans were killed and the killing of a United States soldier the night before.

A Western news agency today received the military identity card of the slain soldier, Edward F. Pimental, and a letter taking responsibility for the killing.

The letter was signed by the Red Army Faction guerrilla group and the French extremist group Action Directe.

A spokesman said the police were investigating the possibility that guerrillas used the identity card to gain access to the base to plant the bomb.

The soldier was killed on Wednesday night after leaving a Wiesbaden discotheque with an unidentified woman and a man.

Firebomb Found in Frankfurt
On an Empty U.S. Army Train

United Press International

Frankfurt, Aug. 12, 1985 - An incendiary device was discovered early today aboard an empty United States Army troop train and was removed before it could go off, the West German police reported.

A police spokesman said the device and cloths soaked in a flammable liquid were found in two sleeping cars of a train that carries soldiers and supplies to and from West Berlin.

The device did not go off because of a defect, the spokesman said.

An inspection showed the train's doors had been tampered with, an Army spokesman said. The train was last used a week ago.

The police said members of the Red Army Faction, which took responsibility for a car bombing last week at the Rhein-Main Air Base that killed two people, were thought to have hideouts near here and might be responsible for the device found on the train.

Return to Top

 Return to Previous Page