Gulf War Index      NEXT


Photos by Dan Vaught, 3/20 FA  


Operation Desert Storm, Phases III - V (24-28 February 1991)



("G-Day" = Start of Ground War)

From Department of the Army - Declassified
Parent Organization = ARCENT; Unit = VII Corps
Folder Title = VII Corps Arty - Book 3 - Commander Rept -
Tab I - 3AD Arty Hist Summ Phases II-VI, Vol 17C

Return to Index


The friendly situation at the beginning of Phase III was as follows: The mission of the VII Corps was "to attack, on order, the Iraqi defenses and destroy the Republican Guards Forces Command (RGFC) in zone". The RBFC was composed primarily of the AL Medina and Hamurabi Armored Divisions and the Tawakalna Mechanized Division. However, there were numerous other forces, including the 12th, 17th and 52d Armored Divisions in close proximity and probably under control of the RBFC. Phase V (Destruction of the RGFC) plans were outlined in VII Corps FRAGPLAN 7. It stated that the 3d Armored Division (3AD) mission was to "conduct an envelopment in accordance with OPORD 1990-2, and on order, attack in coordination with the 1st Armored Division (1AD) to destroy RGFC in the vicinity of Objective Dorsett. The VII Corps was oriented to the North with the XVIII Airborne Corps (ABC) on its left flank and Northern Arab Command (NAC) on the right flank. The VII Corps itself was on line with the 1AD, the 3AD, the 1st Infantry Division (1ID), and the 1st Cavalry Division (1CD) from west to east. The 1CD was technically the ARCENT reserve. The 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment (2ACR) occupied positions in Forward Assembly Area (FAA) Concord, directly north of FAA Garcia and FAA Butts, which were occupied by the 1AD and the 3AD respectively. The 1st United Kingdom Armored Division, 1(UK)AD, was in their FAA positioned to the south of 1ID. The 1ID plan was to open a breach site and for the 1(UK)AD to pass through. The 1(UK)AD then planned to move north and then turn east into the enemy flank. VII Corps alone was to attack on the day after Ground Day (G Day) at BMNT. All other forces would attack on G Day.

The intelligence assessment from the G-2, 3AD as of 240300 was as follows: Iraq will continue to maintain its defense in the Kuwait Theater of Operations (KTO). Iraqi ground forces are incapable of conducting an operational level offensive, although the RGFC remains capable of conducting limited counterattacks. Units will remain dispersed to enhance survivability against Coalition air attacks and to conserve forces for the anticipated ground attack. There are no major indications that Iraq has repositioned any of its heavy forces just prior to the start of the ground campaign. Iraq will probably wait until it has identified the Coalition's main attack before repositioning its limited armored and mechanized forces.

On 24 Feb at 0530, the 3AD Divarty Headquarters (HQ) was positioned in FAA Butts at grid NS 308854. The Divarty conducted Stand-to in preparation for movement from the current location to positions several kilometers north into FAA Concord. The Divarty HQ was directed to SP at 1200 hours. This movement was planned to close the gap between the 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment, the Corps screen, and the lead elements of the 3d Armored Division. This movement would facilitate preparation for the VII Corps ground attack on G+1.

Combat action along the ARCENT front started at 0400 on the 24th of February. At 0140 hours, the Division TAC passed a new VII Corps Fire Support Coordination Line (FSCL) with an effective date time group (DTG) of 240300. The new FSCL was from grid NT 242600 to grid PT 775600. At 0424 hours, the DTAC passed information to the Divarty which confirmed that the 6th French Light Armor Division attacked at 0400 hours.

At 1000 hrs, the Divarty HQ received a warning order from Division: "Be prepared to attack 1100 hours." Slightly more than an hour ahead of its planned movement, at 1054 hours on the 24th of February, the Divarty HQ departed from Forward Assembly Area BUTTS. Rather than stopping and occupying positions in FAA CONCORD as planned, the Division was ordered to attack north through FAA BUTTS and cross the Line of Departure (LD) in order to exploit the successes in the MARCENT sector. Meanwhile, the 3AD 2d Brigade and 4-82 FA rolled at 1000 hours, conducted a refuel south of the LD and increased their Mission Oriented Protective Posture (MOPP) level. 2-3 FA began movement from FAA Butts with the 3AD 1st Brigade at 1120 hours. At approximately 1300, the Divarty HQ stopped short of the LD to assume an increase in Mission Oriented Protective Posture (MOPP). The Divarty went to MOPP level 2 and took Pyridostigmine Bromide (Nerve Agent Pre-treatment Tablets) in anticipation of possible Iraqi chemical weapons use. While waiting to cross the LD, the Divarty dispatched a liaison party to conduct link-up operations with the 1-27FA (MLRS), "Gridsmashers", a battalion from the 42d Field Artillery Brigade.

At 1448 hours, C Battery, 4-82 FA crossed the berm followed by A Battery at 1450 hours. A/40 FA crossed the border behind 4-8 CAV at 1455 hours. The 4-82 FA HHB and their TOC crossed at lane number 26 (grid NT 342241) at 1525 hours. B Battery crossed at 1525 hours, and the Dragons had entered Iraq. At approximately 1600, the Divarty Tactical Operations Center (TOC) rolled forward and crossed into Iraq proceeding through the obstacle belt known as the Berm. The Divarty passed through berm lane number 27 at grid NT 35002299 and continued movement Northeast as part of the Division movement to contact. 2-3 FA crossed the berm at 1642 hours. By 1800 hours 4-82 FA had proceeded 25 kilometers into Iraqi territory.

The Division moved in a column of Brigades. The 4-7 Cavalry screened the Division right flank under the control of the Combat Aviation Brigade (CAB). The column of Brigades from north to south were 2d Brigade, 1st Brigade, and 3rd Brigade. The Divarty TOC moved behind the 2d Brigade trains. The Direct Support (DS) artillery battalions moved in formation with their supported brigades. Each DS battalion was provided a Q-36 Mortar Locating Radar from the division Target Acquisition (TA) Battery, F/333 "Finder", to facilitate counterfire operations. A/40 FA "Deepstrike", the division artillery MLRS battery, had a General Support Reinforcing (GSR) mission to 4-82 FA. They traveled behind the 4-8 Cav, the lead battalion of 2d Bde in order to facilitate long range fires in support of the Division. Additionally, 4-82 FA was provided with a Q-37 Artillery Locating Radar and a Meteorological section to facilitate firing operations. The remaining Q-37 radar from the F/333 Target Acquisition (TA) Battery traveled with and under the control of the HHB Divarty, as did the second Divarty Meteorological section. HHB Divarty had the 2d Platoon, C Battery, 5-3 Air Defense Artillery Battalion (Platoon Leader, LT Brandt), a Chapparal platoon with four weapon systems, attached to provide air defense coverage throughout the operation. The battery also had a signal SEN team (SSG Lopez, NCOIC) attached from the 143d Signal Battalion to provide Mobile Subscriber Equipment (MSE) support to the [Web Editor's Note: the text for this paragraph ends prematurely at this point; obviously a typing omission of probably short length].

Link up with the 1-27 FA was accomplished at grid NT 480380 with the commander and S-3 of 1-27 FA, LTC Vallario and MAJ Jensen. At approximately 1700 hours, the Gridsmashers entered the 3d Armored Division zone. They had just completed firing in the preparation which supported the 1ID advance and breach operations in the east.

The Divarty was passed a new Fire Support Coordination Line at 1748 hours with an effective DTS of 1645 hours. FSCL grids were from NU 7520, to PU 1820 to PT 5290 to PT 5250 to PT 8050. At approximately 1900 hours, the Divarty occupied the first night position at grid NT 438334 and continued 24-hour tactical operations. At approximately 1930 hours, the Gridsmashers occupied night firing positions at grid NT 456334, approximately 2 kilometers east of the Divarty. Face to face contact was later established at the Divarty Tactical Operations Center. The 1-27 FA assumed a General Support mission upon entering the Division zone.

At 1950 hours the Divarty received the following Intelligence SITREP: "No reports of chemical use in theater. Resistance to the 2ACR light throughout. 2ACR captured 210 EPW (Enemy Prisoners of War). MARCENT 5000 EPW. Assessment: Enemy will continue to defend in place. No major activity in the 3AD sector. Do not expect any significant activity tonight."

By 2130 hours all units had closed in position. Unit locations were: A/40 FA - NT 510447; 2-3 FA - NT 419335; 2-82 FA - NT 351231, and 4-82 - NT496431. Only 2-82 FA supporting the 3d Brigade remained in Saudi Arabia at the end of the day. All other Divarty units were established in Iraq. The DTAC and DMAIN closed at NT 482420 and NT 292194 respectively. The 42d FAB was still located in the 1ID zone at NT 622257. Their mission to reinforce 1ID Division Artillery had not changed.

At 2135 the Division Artillery units reported weapons status as follows: A/40 (MLRS)-10 of 10 systems operational, 2-3 FA had 25 of 25 howitzers operational, 2-82 FA had 22 of 26 howitzers operational, and 4-82 FA had 22 of 25 howitzers operational. The Divarty had a total of 69 of 75 M109A2 howitzer systems operational, and all of its 10 MLRS systems operational.

The Divarty covered a cross-country distance of 37 miles on G-Day, of which 34 were within the country of Iraq.

Task Organization, G-Day, 24 Feb 91
3d Armored Division Artillery

2-3 FA "Gunners", 155mm SP, DS, 1st BDE
2-82 FA, "Red Dragons", 155mm SP, DS, 3d BDE
4-82 FA, "Dragons", 155mm SP, DS, 2d BDE
A/40 FA, "Deepstrike", MLRS, GSR 4-82 FA
F/333 FA, "Finder", TA, GS
1/27 FA, "Gridsmasher", MLRS, GS (Effective upon link up)

The 3d Armored Division Artillery, the Force Field Artillery Headquarters, was not called upon, and did not fire any missions on the first day of the conflict.

Return to Index

G+1, 25 FEBRUARY 1991

The 2-3 FA Gunners conducted stand to at 0430 hours on the 25th of February. In the 2d Brigade zone movement started at 0551 hours. At 0641 hours, the Divarty started movement as the Division continued the movement to contact. MOPP level II was still in effect. The 2-3 FA was moving at 0830 hours. The Division proceeded with its plan to move into a wedge formation in the vicinity of PL Melon. The 4-7 CAV/CAS screened the Division right flank along the division boundary with 1ID. The 2d Brigade was in the lead in the center of the Division zone, while the 3d and 1st Brigades followed behind on the left and right flanks. The Divarty HO continued to move directly behind 2d Brigade, and between 1st and 3d Brigades. The 1-27 FA moved with C Battery in the western half of the Division zone behind the 4-18 IN and the other two batteries moved in the eastern half of the zone. The direct support battalions continued moving with their supported brigades, and 4-82 FA maintained control of the Q-37 radar and a metro section.

At approximately 1000 hours, the Divarty S-3 dispatched a liaison party to link-up with the 4-7 CAV (Saber) at a contact point on the 3AD and 1ID boundary. The 4-7 CAV was to secure the area through which the 42d FAB "Wheelhorse" would enter the 3AD zone. Meanwhile, 4-82 FA with the Division's lead brigade stopped temporarily for refuel operations. At approximately 1100 hours the Divarty liaison party established contact with Saber 6, LTC Tucker, the commander of 4-7 CAV at the designated contact point (grid NT 770565). At 1105 hours, 2-3 FA was ordered to be prepared to receive 2-29 FA. At 1241 hours the liaison party made contact was made with COL Morris J. Boyd, the commander 42d FAB, and LTC Faircloth and LTC Stratman of the 3-20 FA (Diamond Back) and 2-29 FA (Pathfinders) Battalions respectively. The 42d FAB was composed of their HHB and the two 155mm self propelled (SP) Artillery Battalions. The plan was to move the 42d FAB to signal node center 60 at grid NT 490510 to rearm, refuel, and receive medical attention if necessary. Node center 60 was south of Phase Line Melon, but the Division had already passed PL Melon and was rapidly moving towards Phase Line Vegas. Given the circumstances, the Divarty Commander, COL John F. Michitsch, directed that the 42d FAB link up with the Division as soon as possible. The Commander of the 42d FAB, COL Boyd, reported no serious shortfalls in Class III or V. No additional logistical support was deemed necessary. Therefore, the 42d FAB was directed to expeditiously move northward to join and reinforce the Division. The liaison officer notified the Division TAC of the link-up plan to move 2-29 FA into zone first behind the 1st Brigade and then to bring the 42d FAB HHB and 3-20 FA to a point along the 3d Brigade and 1st Brigade boundaries, and to then follow that boundary Northeast to link up with Divarty and the 2d Brigade. The "Wheelhorse" Brigade responded accordingly, and immediately began to move. The 2-29 FA "Path-Finders" were the first to move into the 3AD zone as the 1st Brigade passed. The reinforced unit, 2-3 FA, sent LT Soley, their Recon Survey Officer, to meet 2-29 FA and facilitate the transition. Next, the Wheelhorse Headquarters and Headquarters Battery (HHB) along with the 3-20 FA moved west toward the center of the division zone, then turned north traveling parallel with the Division Support Command convoys. This movement was designed to effect a link up with the HHB Divarty, which was still an the Move, in an expeditious and orderly manner. The 3-20 FA mission was to conduct link up operations with 4-82 FA, which was in the front and center of the Division zone, and assume a reinforcing mission.

By 1400 hours, the Pathfinders had caught up with 2-3 FA. At approximately 1700 hours the Divarty occupied a new position at PT 037936. At approximately 1745 hours, the 42d FAB occupied a position slightly southwest of the Divarty at grid PT 031931. About dusk, the 3-20 FA entered the 2d Brigade zone and began occupying positions to reinforce 4-82 FA. At approximately 183O hours, 2-3 FA occupied positions in the vicinity of grid PT 110960, and 2-29 FA occupied in the vicinity at PT 990940. Finally after their long road march up the Division zone, 3-20 FA closed with 4-82 FA at 2040 hours and commenced preparing to reinforce the fires of 4-82 FA. The "Wheelhorse" FAB had closed with the Division Artillery.

At 2145 hours, a new FSCL was received with an effective DTG of 251500 hours (From grids PU 6461 to PU 6961 to PT 6950 to PT 8050).

At the end of the day, the Division was closed on Phase Line Berlin. The 2d Brigade was still centered in the middle of the zone. The 1st Brigade was slightly behind in the south, and the 3d Brigade was to the rear but had not yet closed completely into the Division wedge. The 2d ACR was still screening forward of the Division along Phase Line Smash.

The Divarty received an INTSUM as of 252130L Feb 91: (1) Iraqi 52 AD repositioned as blocking force for Tawakalna Division. Two Iraqi Bde sized elements between VIC PV 3904 to PT 5193. The Third Bde from the 52 AD is now located VIC PV 7537. (2) The 50 AR Bde and the 37 AR Bde of the 12 AD have moved into a blocking position, tied in with the 52 AD. Locations unknown at this time. (3) Locations of the Tawakalna Mech Division, which has repositioned are as follows: 9 AR Bdo PT 6496, A Mech Bde PU 7605, B Mech Bde PU 7213. (4) No identification of movement of the Al Medina, the Hamurabi, or the 17 AD. (5) MARCENT reports capture of 10,000 EPWs to date. Marine forces advanced to south of Kuwait City. Currently attacking to seize airfield south of Kuwait City. (6) 2 ACR reports contact with Mech task force at PL Smash, VIC PU 2004. Destroyed 24 BTR-60s. (7) Report of minefield with berm VIC NT 828857 and additional minefield VIC 2941N 4549E. Report of trenches VIC NT 798849. (8) 3d Bde, 3AD reported capture of 100 EPWS, 251900L, location unknown.

As of 2300 hours Divarty and 42d FAB units reported the following weapons status. Based on number on hand and number mission capable: 2-82 FA had 26 on hand and 23 mission capable; 2-3 FA had 25 on hand and 22 mission capable; 4-82 FA had 25 on hand and 16 mission capable. A/40 had 10 MLRS on hand and 9 operational. The 42d FAB units reported as follows: 1-27 FA had 23 of its 26 launchers operational. 3-20 and 2-29 FA reported 23 of 26, and 22 of 25 howitzers operational respectively.

The Divarty covered a distance of 53 miles on the second day of the conflict.

Task Organization, G-Day +1, 25 Feb 91

3d Armored Division Artillery
2-3 FA "Gunners", 155mm SP, DS, 1st BDE
2-82 FA, "Red Dragons", 155mm SP, DS, 3d BDE
4-82 FA, "Dragons", 155mm SP, DS, 2d BDE
A/40 FA, "Deepstrike", MLRS, GSR 4-82
F/337 FA, "Finder", TA, GS

42 Field Artillery Brigade, R 3ADA
2-29 FA, "Path-Finders", 155mm SP, R 2-3FA
3-20 FA, "Diamond Back", 155mm SP, R 4-82 FA
1/27 FA, "Gridsmasher", MLRS, SS

Neither the 3d Armored Division Artillery, the Force Field Artillery Headquarters nor the 42d Field Artillery Brigade were called upon, and did not fire any missions in the Division zone on the second day of the conflict.

Return to Index

G+2, 26 FEBRUARY 1991

At 0040 hours on the 26th of February, 3-20 FA reported that they had completed refuel operations.

At 0315 hours Divarty received a new FSCL and BCL with effective DTG of 260400 hours local. The FSCL plotted from grids PU9050 to PT 9067 and the BCL plotted from grid PT 6380 to PT 7074 to PT 5549.

Divarty received a Corps SITREP at 0325 hours: 1AD continues attack vicinity Objective Purple, will continue through Objective Collins to Objective Bonn. 1ID will attack 0430 hours along the southern flank of 3AD to Objective Norfolk.

Preparation for movement in the Division zone started early. At 0500 hours the Divarty Jump TOC became operational, and the main TOC prepared to march order. The 42d FAB moved at 0655 hours. At 0700 hours, the 2-3 FA repositioned their Q-36 radar with 2-29 FA. And at 0730 hours, 4-82 FA and the 2d Brigade continued forward to lead the Division attack.

At 0800 the Division passed new graphics on the Division Command net. The Divarty monitored the new coordinates for boundaries, objectives, and phase lines and posted them accordingly. North boundary grids PU 400280 to PU 590290 to PU 390245 to QU 250100. South boundary grids PU 400070 to PU 430090 to PU 580080 to PU 770070 to PU 880040 to QU 140915. The objectives were as follows: 3AD Objective Dorsett; grid PU 9615, and 3AD Objective Minden, grid QU 130000. Phase Line Tangerine grids PU 590290 to PU 580080, PL Malta PU 4002BO to 400070, PL Bullet PU 750270 to PU 750075, PL Lime PU 905250 to PU 770070, and PL Kiwi QU 260100 to PU 140910. These graphics represented the zone in which the 3d Armored Division would execute VII Corps FRAS Plan 7 which called for the destruction of the RGFC.

HHB, Divarty moved at 0839 hours. The Division continued the movement to contact. The Division intermediate objective was to reach Phase Line Tangerine. While enroute to PL Tangerine, in the vicinity of PL Malta, the 2d ACR moved to the southeast out of the Division zone and in front of the 1ID to the east. The 2d ACR then continued eastward to fix enemy forces at Objective Norfolk. The CG, 3AD directed all MLRS to stay well forward and occupy firing positions along the 57 North/South grid line. Once the Division closed on Phase Line Tangerine, the 1st Brigade moved forward and came on line with the 2d Brigade. 4-82 FA refueled at PL Tangerine at approximately 1430 hours and then occupied firing positions along with 3-20 FA. The Division then continued the attack east towards PL Bullet with two brigades abreast, and the 3d Brigade following. The Division was later ordered to continue the attack to PL Lime. At this point the CG, 3AD wanted to exploit the situation, and directed the units to move.

The Division encountered enemy contact in the vicinity of Phase Line Bullet. In the 2d Brigade zone, at 1600 hours, the 4-8 CAV made first contact with a forward screen or observation post composed of infantry troops in bunkers, a BRDM and ZSU 23-4. This complex was located forward (2km) of a thin line of tanks and mechanized infantry. 4-82 FA occupied firing positions at 1615 hours. Simultaneously, 4-8 CAV destroyed the tracked vehicles, and continued movement forward. 4-82 FA flew a MET, transmitted the data to the battalion FDC, and was prepared for firing at 1630 hours. The Division Artillery HQ conducted a hasty occupation at grid PU 608172, oriented radars, and also flew a MET. The 2d Brigade continued killing targets for the next 20 minutes. The 2d Brigade and 4-82 FA moved forward. A few minutes later, 3-20 FA also displaced and moved. At 1646 hours additional enemy contact forced the artillery to engage a series of bunker complexes. The artillery battalions then moved forward and 4-82 occupied along the 75 North/South grid line, and 3-20 FA occupied along the 67 North/South grid line. At 1945 hours, 4-82 FA expended 20 rounds of DPICM and destroyed three trucks. Later at 2049 hours they fired 48 rounds of HE at an enemy mortar position. Secondary explosions were observed by a FIST. By 2200 hours, the 2d Brigade had repositioned, and the 4-82 FA and 3-20 FA both fired at a series of targets commencing at 2220 hours. In addition the Q-36 radar generated targets which were cleared and then fired. Enemy indirect fire systems did not continue. The battle then turned to a direct fire engagement. 4-82 FA fired seven missions and 276 rounds.

In the 1st Bde zone, 2-3 FA travelled with one battery forward with 3-5 CAV, the lead element, and two batteries back. The Gunner battalion emplaced at the following locations at 1630 hours: A Battery PU 661140, B Battery PU 702142, and C Battery PU 663130. At 1700 hours, 2-29 FA emplaced with a center of mass at PU 667160. At 1704 hours A Battery 2-3 FA fired the first round, an illumination projectile with a 100 meter height of burst. Approximately 15 minutes later the 2-29 FA occupied positions. Both battalions continued to fire in support. 2-3 FA fired missions at 2020 and 2030 hours against bunkers and dismounted infantry. They used a combination of DPICM, HE and white phosphorus (WP). High explosive and white phosphorus shells in combination proved effective against the bunkers. At about the same time, 2-29 FA massed with 2-3 FA and fired DPICM against the bunker complexes. At 2305 hours, 2 LT Bush (B/3-5 CAV FIST) called for and received a Copperhead round which was delivered by A Battery, 2-3 FA. The Copperhead round destroyed an enemy bunker. Later in the evening, the attached Q-36 radar detected an enemy artillery position firing and three battalions, the 2-3 FA, 2-29 FA, and 1-27 FA massed fires to silence the enemy artillery.

Due to uncertainty about the division southern boundary, the 1st Brigade established a boundary "north" of the Division boundary with 1ID beyond which they did not fire. This was done because it was believed that friendly troops were to the front of the Brigade in the Southern part of the sector. However it was unclear who they were, and the new "boundary" served to prevent fratricide. However, the Gunners still executed 15 fire missions and fired 615 rounds.

During the brigade engagements, the 1-27 FA engaged deep targets. A/40 FA fired one mission and expended 12 rockets on a GCT battery which was detected by the Q-37 radar attached to 4-82 FA.

At 2106 hours the Divarty received new coordinates for the FSCL which became effective at 1700 hours. The QU and QT 20 North/South gridline beyond Objective Minden became the new FSCL.

Unit locations late in the evening were as follows: A/40 FA vicinity grid PU 6525, 2-82 FA grid PU 5225, and 3-20 FA grid PU 6723.

The Divarty HQ traveled 41 miles on the third day of the war.

The Division fought throughout the evening to gain control of Phase Line Bullet.

Task Organization, G-Day +2, 26 Feb 91

3d Armored Division Artillery
2-3 FA, DS 1st BDE
2-82 FA, DS 3d BDE
4-82 FA, DS 2d BDE
A/40 FA, GS
F/333 FA, GS

42d Field Artillery Brigade, R 3ADA
2-29 FA, R 2-3 FA
3-20 FA, R 4-82 FA
1-27 FA, GS

Return to Index

G+3, 27 FEBRUARY 1991

The Division continued to battle the enemy. At 0244 hours A/40 FA reported "shot". At 0305 hours they reported "rounds complete" on 6 missions for a total of 69 rockets. The 42d FAB fired 7 targets with 71 rockets at 0312 hours. At 0400 hours a MET was flown to ensure firing accuracy. At 0500 hours, the 1-27 FA fired an additional 5 missions and 44 rockets. BDA for A/40 FA fires were reported by the DTAC as follows: approximately 13 Ammunition trucks, 2 BMP's, one SA-9, and one jeep.

At 0608 hours, the Divarty received a new FSCL (from grid QU 5020 to QT 5090) from VII Corps with an effective DTG of 0300 hours.

At 0430 hours the 3d Brigade, 3AD received the mission to pass through the 2d Brigade the next day. On order organization for combat was announced that placed 3-20 FA reinforcing 2-82 FA and A/40 FA GSR to 2-82 FA. At 0700 LTC Absher, LTC Davis, LTC Faircloth and CPT Tokar met to coordinate the fire support requirements of the passage. Positions for 2-82 FA (along the 65 North/South grid line) were coordinated for occupation in the 2d Brigade zone in order for 2-82 FA to conduct a prep in support of the 3d Brigade passage of lines. The battalion occupied firing positions at 0530 hours.

Meanwhile in the Ist Brigade zone, at 0400 hours 2-3 FA fired 7 HE and 21 DPICM at another bunker system.

At 0457 hours, the Divarty received the following adjacent unit update from the Division Main: " On the 3AD north, the 1AD is in contact with the Tawakalna Division. Brigades of 1AD at the following locations: 1st Bde grid PU 8038, 2d Bde grid PU 8046, 3d Bde grid PU 8031. On the 3AD south, the 1ID is also in contact with the Tawakalna Division. Brigades of 1ID at the following locations: 1/4 CAV screening the center at grid PU 7000, 1st Bde grid PT 8090, 2d Bde grid PU 7090, 3d Bde grid PU 8080.

In order to establish the Force Field Artillery Headquarters well forward with the majority of artillery delivery systems, the Divarty S-3 started coordination with the 42d FAB. At approximately 0900 hrs, the Divarty S-3 coordinated with the 42d FAB for the conduct of Mutual Support Unit (MSU) operations. The Brigade became the 3AD Force Field Artillery Headquarters while the Divarty displaced forward. At 0959 the Divarty Headquarters moved to support Division operations and the 42d FAB assumed control.

At this time, the Division had two brigades on line with 2d Brigade in the north and 1st Brigade in the south oriented to the east along Phase Line Bullet. The 4-82 FA planned a preparation to support the passage of lines. The passage was planned for early morning, and the prep was eventually fired at 0720 hours. The battalion fired a 72-round prep on three targets at grids: PT 733228, PT 728217, and PT 719268. Two tanks and a BMP were destroyed. There was an additional delay before the passage actually started about 1000 hours. The 3d Brigade passed through the 2d Brigade in the north and the Division pressed the attack forward toward Phase Line Lime and Objective Dorsett. The 3-20 FA executed its on order mission to reinforce 2-82 FA. A/40 FA assumed its mission as well - general support reinforcing 2-82 FA. Upon completion of the passage, 2-82 FA occupied new positions and fired 196 DPICM rounds against dug-in Iraqi infantry and armor positions at grids PT 870240 and PT E378232. The battalion destroyed 9 T-55 tanks and 2 bunker complexes. The 2d Brigade became the Division reserve with a "be prepared to follow and support" mission. Consequently, 4-82 FA maintained its Direct Support mission to the 2d Brigade.

In the southern zone, 2-3 FA and 2-29 FA initiated the action by firing at trucks and bunkers in two separate missions. Together in mass they expended 24 rounds of DPICM, 47 rounds of WP and 45 rounds of High Explosive munitions. At about 1000 hours the Ist Brigade, its Direct Support Artillery, 2-3 FA and 2-29 FA reinforcing, moved forward to continue the attack.

On or about the time of the passage, the Division Commander authorized the Combat Aviation Brigade to send attack helicopters after targets in Objective Dorsett. Since the objective was well in range of surface fire support assets (MLRS rockets, and FA cannon), the Fire Support Element established a line (the 85 North/South grid line) beyond which any fires had to be coordinated with the Combat Aviation Brigade (CAB) Fire Support Officer. In effect, this established a maneuver zone for the CAB.

Throughout the day, the Divarty TOC moved in the southern zone behind the 1st Brigade. At 1400 the Ist Bde made contact with the enemy. By 1454 hours, B Battery 2-3 FA was engaging tanks with DPICM. The Divarty HQ conducted a hasty occupation at approximately 1500 hrs (grid PU 82Ol7O) and provided control of supporting fires. The occupation site was in close proximity to 2-3 FA and the 2-29 FA, and the members of the Divarty TOC could observe the firing several hundred meters ahead.

The 42d FAB was ordered forward and they subsequently closed at about 1800 hours. The 1st and 3d Brigades continued the attack through Objective Dorsett. Then, throughout the evening the 1st and 3d Brigades continued movement southeast through Objective Minden. The 3d Brigade entered Kuwait at 1643 hours and arrived at PL Kiwi at 1930 hours. The 2-3 FA timing with 1st Brigade was slightly slower. 2-3 FA crossed PL Lime at 1700 hours, and crossed into Kuwait at 2200 hours. The Gunners occupied the following positions: TOC QT 117982, A Battery QT 1249B2, B Battery QT 148974, C Battery QT 124977. The 2/29 FA occupied at center of mass QT 120990. Concurrently, both the 1AD arid 1ID secured PL Kiwi on the Division northern and southern flanks.

The Gunners fired 42 fire mission, and 827 rounds, 682 of which were Dual Purpose ICM. The Dragons fired 9 missions and expended 76 rounds. The Red Dragons fired 5 missions and dumped 221 rounds of DPICM on T-72 Tanks, BMP's, and dismounted infantry. A/40 FA fired 9 missions and 81 rockets against light armor, an assembly area, and artillery positions.

At approximately 1730 hours, 8 enemy soldiers surrendered to the HHB. They remained in the position overnight and were taken away by the Military Police the following day after HHB departed. The Divarty traveled 14 miles on the fourth day of the war.

Task Organization, G-Day +3, 27 Feb 91

3d Armored Division Artillery
2-3 FA, DS 1st BDE
2-82 FA, DS 3d BDE
4-82 FA, DS 2d BDE
A/40 FA, GS o/o GSR 2-82
F/333 FA, GS

42d Field Artillery Brigade, R 3D Divarty
2-29 FA, R 2-3 FA
3-20 FA, R 4-82 FA o/o R 2-82 FA
1-27 FA, GS

Return to Index

G+4, 28 FEBRUARY 1991

At 0200, the Division issued FRAGO 84 announcing that a temporary cease fire was in effect at DTG 280800 hours. The Allied Coalition Forces agreed to a tentative cease fire with the enemy. The mission of 3AD was to transition from offensive operations to force protection operations in zone and prepare to defend Northern Kuwait. The 2d Brigade clears the 3AD zone from PL Tangerine to PL Success which was the 1st and 3d Brigade rear boundaries. The 1st and 3d Brigades clear the zone between PL Success and PL Kiwi. MOPP Level 0 became effective 0800 hours. Wartime rules of engagement were still in effect.

At approximately 1000 hours, the Divarty started movement to a Division assembly area in accordance with guidance provided by Annex C (Operations Overlay) to 3AD FRAGO's 83 and 84. PL Lime became the Division rear boundary. The Divarty moved 19 miles deeper into Kuwait and occupied at grid QU 095142 at 1300 hours. The terrain through Objective Dorsett, across the Iraq and Kuwait border, and into Kuwait itself, was littered with destroyed or abandoned enemy vehicles as well as numerous bunkers and defensive fighting positions.

The 42d FAB units fired the following numbers of missions and ammunition: 3-20 FA fired 27 missions and 1121 rounds. 2-29 FA fired 50 missions and 1733 rounds. The 1-27 fired 44 missions and expended 555 MLRS rockets.

Task Organization, G-Day +4, 28 Feb 91

3d Armored Division Artillery
2-3 FA, DS 1st BDE
2-82 FA, DS 3d BDE
4-82 FA, DS 2d BDE
A/40 FA, GSR 4-82 FA
F/333 FA, GS

42d Field Artillery Brigade, R 3D Divarty
2-29 FA, GS
3-20 FA, GS
1-27 FA, GS

[END of Summary]

[Home Page]

Return to Index

Gulf War Index